Drivers Education

Driver's Education & the Home-Schooled Student

In Illinois you have 2 options

For full details, we highly recommend you download and carefully review the "Illinois Rules of the Road" and

You will be asked for a consent form, here is a downloadable example:

If you choose to take the public school driver's education classes, the parts of the Illinois School Code that apply to Driver's Education can be found here

In part, this reads:

Some suggestions for actually dealing with your local school district when making a request for your homeschooled student to attend their driver's education course are as follows: Try calling your local high school first; ask who is in charge of the driver's ed course as you would like to go about enrolling your non-public school student (or private/homeschooled student) in the course.

In the ideal scenario, you will then be referred to the appropriate individual who will be knowledgeable about the provision for non-public school students. This individual may ask for information such as the name address and phone number of the student as well as a birthdate (in some schools, priority is given to the oldest students first).

If the individual thinks that your student cannot be enrolled, you might try explaining the provision in the Illinois School Code. If that does not seem to help, you might try working your way up the "chain of command." Try the principal, then the local school superintendent, then the regional superintendent until you find someone who is indeed aware of the provisions of the law.

In at least one instance that we are aware of, the first contact said that there wasn't any room for the student. When the local superintendent was phoned, he in turn let the initial person contacted know that if they didn't find room for the student, the local school district would have to pay for the student to attend a course in an adjacent district. Needless to say, room was found.

Yes, you do have to provide the school with some verification that your student has passed at least 8 courses during the last 2 semesters. The school is legally obligated to verify this. Note: A "course completed" does not necessaily mean a credit completed. Courses in high school are often quarter or half credit courses.

As noted above, you may be able to find a private agency qualified to teach students under the age of 18.  This usually costs more than the public school, but it has the advantage of being under your control to a greater extent, and you may find their hours to be more convenient than those of the public school.

There are some correspondence courses available from various sources, but in Illinois these do not satisfy the requirement that the student be enrolled in a certified course.